Then and Now
November 3, 1998
by Tom McGehee
The south west corner of Government and Dearborn streets had been obtained by organizers of the First Christian Church by 1902. A small pine chapel was replaced by the building in this view in 1906. The pavement and curbing ends abruptly at an unpaved Dearborn Street.
The new building was of pressed brick. Its upper auditorium seated 560 in oak seats sloping down to a raised platform. The ground floor held Sunday school and meeting rooms as well as a study for the pastor.
In 1927 the church moved west to 1419 Government Street near Leinkauf School. The vacant building became the Hellenic Orthodox Church.
In 1961 the renamed Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church was completed at 50 South Ann Street. The former building was demolished without fanfare. Today the site is home to a nicely landscaped parking lot for the nondescript commercial building to the west.
Credit Wilson Collection, Historic Mobile Preservation Society.