Then and Now
November 11, 1997
by Tom McGehee
In 1915 the north east corner of North Royal and St. Louis streets was interesting enough to rate this post card view. The caption notes that this is the "New Home of Kahn Manufacturing Company, Maker of 'Panama' Overalls."
Kahn Manufacturing had opened in 1908 when Bernard and Sol Kahn left Mobile Spring Bed Company to manufacture overalls at 416-1/2 Dauphin Street. Business was apparently good allowing them to build a substantial brick home for their business nine years later.
By the 1940's the company had expanded its "Panama" line to include pants and suits as well as overalls. A decade later they advertised Style-Rite Trousers.
By the early 1960's Kahn Manufacturing had closed its doors and the building was gone by 1964. After serving as a parking lot for nearly a decade the block was filled with the office building which occupies the site today.
Credit: Collection of the Author